Monday, February 12, 2007

Hookin' Up With Mark

Today I thought I would post about how I hooked up with Mark. . .
I met Mark at my friend Rachele's graduation party; he was there with Rachele's brother. We got talking and it was as if the world stopped-for me it was instant attraction. We did a few things that summer, but soon Mark had to leave for Nebraska where he starting his first teaching job. I on the other hand, went back to MBBC where I was starting my sophomore year. We started corresponding with each other, but then Mark's letters just stopped in December! I didn't hear from him or see him until that summer.
One Sunday, the college group was going to get together to play sand volleyball. I went home to change and ended up getting a phone call from Kyle Knapp (my best friend from college). All of a sudden the doorbell rang-it was Mark! I mentioned that I was talking to my friend Kyle. His face dropped, but he asked me if he could pick me up for the sand volleyball game in 15 minutes. I was super excited!! Later, when we were in his truck, I mentioned Kyle. His face dropped, and he asked me who Kyle was. I told him that she was my best friend and soon to be roomie. Mark's face lit up. All along, he had thought Kyle was a he-hence stopping his letter writing the previous semester! With that all cleared up, we continued to do things with each other until he had to leave for camp in Wyoming.
We wrote back and forth while he was away at camp, and then I got a phone call. Mark wanted to visit me after camp was over and before he had to go back to Nebraska to start teaching for the year. It was after that phone call that I knew I was going to marry Mark. I wrote a letter to him (but didn't give it to him until we got married) declaring my love for him, and stating that we were going to work through the distance problem and that I was going to marry him. That was on June 8, 1995.
We continued dating long distance until Mark decided to find a teaching job closer to me. He finally found a job in Wisconsin and then decided it was time to "pop the big question."

6 comments:

girlie girl said...

That's soooo romantic! That sounds a little like me and David - long distance romance. And look at you now, years down the road, with two beautiful boys (of course, they'll need therapy over the whole mermaid thing), active in church, molding 6th-12th graders lives for the future....Isn't God good!

mitchells2000 said...

Just goes to prove that if God wants you together, distance is not an issue... My hubby and I dated long distance as well!
What a sweet story!

Donette said...

Amy, I am posting about how Dan and I met! I guess Valentine's Day has us all in the mood to remember those dating days. I love the story about him thinking Kyle was a guy! You have to admit, you don't meet many girls with that name!

Stephanie said...

I love these stories! It is so fun to read all the different ways everyone met.

Burman Batch said...

Amy-thanks for sharing. I had a long distance relationship as well. I love reading about your family. I am so happy for you!!

Andrea

Dora said...

loved the story...getting all ver-klempt over here! I remember that summer.. weren't you working at a clothes discount store or something? how is kyle have you heard from here?
okay enough.. have a great valentines day! i miss ya so much...
dora