Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Well, the Broadway program is over. And I happy to announce that all went well! I was so proud at how my drama class "stepped it up" this year. Allow me to explain:
I had great plans and visions of my drama class jumping out of the baptistry and dancing on the choir modesty rail; it was going to be so cool! Well, our pastor saw us practicing and told our Principal that we would not be able to do the number- this was on Tuesday afternoon and the show was on Thursday. The reasoning was partly safety, but mostly because it was the church auditorium. I was so devastated. The kids had been practicing for 2 months on this number, it was difficult to learn and choreograph. I was in a difficult position of telling the kids they couldn't do something when I myself didn't agree with the decision. I left for the afternoon to clear my head. . .and slowly the Lord began to speak to me.
I had to come to grips that God had placed me at CBA, and whether I agreed or not, I was to obey my authority. I had to realize the difficulties that come into my life are God testing me-will I have the right attitude, will I trust Him, etc. . . My kids were a little upset at the outcome, but I was able to share my heart with the kids and challenge them to do move on and trust God. I am amazed at the resilience of my kids. They grumbled a bit, but then we revamped the number. And, the new number was better than the old one. So, God is good. His ways are best. If we have the right attitude, if we trust Him, if we abandon our ways and do what God asks-He will give us something even better than we could have ever imagined!

I am so thankful that my husband and kids were able to attend along with my best friends Bobbi, Julie and Shelly. Usually my audiences consists of parents, grandparents and their guests, but I had my own people in the audience that night!!
I have posted some pictures of our dress rehearsal that day. . . enjoy!



6 comments:

Lauren said...

Amy, I would have LOVED to see that. Those pictures are great. I am sure the kids rose to the challenge and made a memory that will be a highlight of their schooling. And the lesson is one that will always stick with them- specifically how you wanted to have a right attitude about it. You served them all well in giving them this example to look back on as they face other related situations in years to come. Thanks for sharing!!

Burman Batch said...

Amy, I too wish I could have seen the musical. It looks like it is loads of fun!! I just love your honesty with what you are feeling & how God is working. You are definitely being used by God. Thanks for sharing!!

mom2mine said...

Amy, It looks like so much fun. I would have loved it. I think you had a great attitude about it, and you must have great kids too.

Thanks for stopping by my fat blog :) BTW it is Rockford. 100 miles north of you. We used to go down and play at your school I think. What back when.

Gretchen said...

Looks AWESOME! I am sure it turned out great!

I am totally impressed with your mentality. . . and I am sure that it made an impact on your kids. One of the hardest things in the world is to honor your authority when you disagree with them!

Thanks Amy, keep up the good work, and thanks for being so real about heart issues on your blog!

Dora said...

awesome.. I am so proud of you for having a good attitude and letting God use you to be a good example to your students..
love ya tons...

Donette said...

I wish I could have been there! Sometimes I really miss that world of the stage. I find myself checking out the lighting at shows and wishing I was the one "behind the scenes." Who knows if I will ever get to participate in stage productions again, but I love hearing about it!
I am also so happy that you chose to be open with your students. I remember getting so frustrated when I thought that all adults always agreed with each other and no one had the nerve to publicly say, "I wish things were different, but here is how I will deal with it." I am certain that your students will learn a valuable lesson from seeing you disagree and be disappointed, but going on with a right attitude and making it work. Thanks for sharing!