Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Second Rate

So, this past weekend I had an opportunity to play a character I was meant to play. . . THE QUEEN of the Princess Ball. Every other year our church has a Princess Ball, in which the little girls get all dressed up and are excorted by their fathers to the ball. I was asked to be the Queen of Etiquette. Yes, I did say etiquette-Never mind the fact that I had to "google" the word etiquette to get tips to teach the princesses. Anyway, I got all dressed up in my royal apparel(complete with tiara and wand), and had my hair and make-up done.

I went to the ball and it was so refreshing to be around so many little, dainty girls. They hung on my every word, eager to learn how to be mannerly, which rarely happens with my boys. After my etiquette leasson, I walked around the ball during dinner reminding them to use their manners. After their dinner was over, they were so proud to show me how they had arranged their utensils on their plate to show the waiter they were done with dinner, and they blotted their little mouths ever so gracefully. At this ball, I was treated like a queen! I was somebody.

I was so excited to go home and tell Mark all about my night. I remained in my royal apparel so he could gaze upon my queenly beauty. I arrived home before him, so I waited ever so patiently for my Prince Charming to arrive. At last, he was there! He walked to our bedroom and smiled. I jumped up and ran to him, to which he replied, "Did you see what is in the barn?!"
To which I replied, "No, Mark, but do you see me in my queenly apparel?" He looked at me, and said, "Yes, you look nice, but I just bought a horse. Come on, let's go out to the barn and see it!"

It was at that moment I realized, even with all my royal glory, I was second rate to our newly aquired pet. Oh, to be at the Ball with all my little Princesses. Oh, to be somebody, again!!

4 comments:

hartgirlies said...

Oh, Tater! You'll always be a princess to me! It seems like men rarely notice when you try to make the extra effort to look nice. I know Michael will tell me I look beautiful when my hair is slicked back in a ponytail, I have no make up on and I am wearing sweats and a baggy sweat shirt! What?? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Love ya!

Beaner

Dora said...

men! like shelly said.. you will always be a queen to me..
did you take a picture? you have to post it!

Gretchen said...

Well, I'm just TOed that you didn't post any pictures of yourself in your queenly glory! WAH! I'd love to see it!

sounds like a GREAT evening. What a fun part to play!

girlie girl said...

Yeah, where are the pictures?!

Tis life with a house full of boys - but since you are the only girl (or is the horse a girl too?), you are queen of quite a lot!