Monday, April 9, 2007

Shining Stars

I love how God specifically speaks to me. This verse caught my eye last week, but I have been so touched by this verse that I am making it my "Verse for the Week."

Philppians 2:15
". . . so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life. . ."

I am invovled in a prayer group at school, mostly students. We meet every Tuesday and pray specifically for revival in the school and for opportunities to share our faith with those in the school who need Jesus' salvation. Lately, the group has been a little discouraged because the numbers in the group have been low, we haven't seen a lot of answered prayers, and we don't seem to see lot of fruit from our shared faith. When I saw this verse I thought of this beloved prayer group.

Number One, I love that I am encouraged to shine like a star. The drama queen in me, gets this verse!! But, instead of shining for myself, I am shining for Jesus!

Number Two, I see that no matter the circumstance, I am commanded to shine like stars. Regardless of the low numbers at prayer meeting, the "seemingly" unanswered prayers or the fruitless encounters, I am commanded to keep on shining. We must be the stars that help light this dark world. We must not give up or get discouraged-we must keep on shining.

I would love for you all to pray for this group at CBA that they would not be discouraged but keep doing what is right. And I would love for you to pray for a student that desperately needs to open his heart to Jesus-Mitch. Please pray that Mitch's eyes will be open to the love God has for him inspite of his past.

2 comments:

Donette said...

I'm glad there is a group of students dedicated to praying for each other! I regretfully remember my days at Calvary and how I assumed we all were Christians and that it was ok to be lukewarm (at best) about my faith. It is encouraging to see teens excited about their walk with Christ!

amy said...

You know, Donette, these students have been such a blessing to me. I don't think we even thought about praying for our classmates in highschool. I, too, regret my days at CBA. I wasted so much time worrying about petty things instead of making it count for Christ.
I think our teens get a bad rep too many times, and it is encouraging to see that these kids are making a difference!
BTW, we had a prayer meeting this Tuesday, and 18 people showed up! It was super exciting!